Bread. The bane of my existence. Can't live with it... definitely don't wanna live without it. Even if I had NO "food" in my house, as long as I have some corn meal, eggs and milk I'd surely survive. This cornbread can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner. My friend Harrison has used this recipe several times now. He's even whipped it up on Snapchat for the world to see. He loves it. His guests love it. I love it. My family loves it. I hope you will too. My Skillet Cornbread is soft, buttery and good enough to humble you. Enjoy!
- 2 c. White Cornmeal
- 2 c. Buttermilk
- 1/4 c. Granulated Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Unmelted
- 6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients (cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) together in one bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and eggs slowly to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk in the melted butter.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the stovetop and heat until hot.
- Add the unmelted butter to the skillet until melted and turn the stove off. Make sure the bottom and sides of the skillet are completely coated in butter.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet then place on the center rack inside the oven.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted & removed cleanly.
- Remove skillet from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve.